Are you job-ready for the new normal? An interesting and accurate title for today’s workforce and classroom from the Financial Express. As an educator and lifelong learner myself, I’m always on the lookout to learn about the new skill sets in need and the resources to master them. The skills that the article mentioned include
- Digital Marketing. Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing (SMM) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) are comprised of a variety of skillsets that can overlap but still have unique skills for each of their own area. To add more fun to the mix, the variety of social media platforms combined with different demographics can be daunting to learn and navigate to reach your target audience.
- Data Analytics. Data is an invaluable resource that organizations are looking to tap into to better understand their customers and drive them to their doors (virtual or otherwise). What’s daunting is that only approximately 20% of our data is actually in a usable format with the remaining 80% unstructured and teeming with potential information to help businesses meet new goals and reach their customers (Source: AWS Training & Certification – Data Analytics Fundamentals).
- Creative Skills. Creativity in communication – whether it be via graphics or copy is vital to reach the intended audience to engage, excite and entice to perform a specific call to action (subscribe to a newsletter, make a purchase, etc.).
- Graphic Design. Just like the creative skills mentioned earlier, the skill of graphic design can convey a message and call to action that is desired by the business.
- Business Skills. The skills of entrepreneurship, marketing, financial management, project management and similar are areas that provide great value to businesses in all sizes to meet the dynamic demands and needs of their target customer.
Now that we’ve reviewed some of the in-demand skills for today’s (and tomorrow’s) workforce, let’s review how we can gain those skills. Obviously, college is one option but thanks to the Internet and organizations like Google, AWS, Harvard University and HubSpot, it’s no longer the only option.
To review the skills and resources available in the same order as introduced…
- Digital Marketing
- Data Analytics
- Creativity Skills
- Creativity is a skill that comes easier to some than others but thankfully resources like HubSpot Academy and Canva Design School provide resources to develop creative visuals to encourage a specific call to action.
- For the written word (copywriting), there are a variety of online resources to improve your skillset. The resource that I recommend personally is an ebook from A Book Apart title Writing for Designers (starting at $10)
- Language Skills
- The Internet is full of resources to learn a new language (both human and computer) but my personal recommendation for the computer languages is Harvard University’s CS50. CS50 is a completely free course that is taught by what many consider (myself included) the best computer science instructor out there – David Malan.
- Graphic Design
- Business Skills
To recap on resources that are either free or very minimal costs to learn these in-demand skills.
- Google Skillshop (free)
- HubSpot Academy (free)
- Google Analytics Academy (free)
- AWS Training & Certification (free)
- Canva Design School (free)
- A Book Apart ($10 – $25)
- CS50 (free)
- Figma (free)
One last resource that I recommend if you are 14 or older AND are either a teacher or a student is AWS Educate. AWS Educate is a platform designed by Amazon Web Services to teach not only cloud computing skills but also earn digital badges related to web development, learning computer languages, data analytics, and cloud computing (of course).
The career of opportunities available in the tech field are not limited to coding. There’s multiple opportunities for the designers, project managers, content writers and more. My best advise to anyone looking into entering this field is to be curious and never, ever stop learning.